The leaves are made of rag paper, a raw material used at the time to make paper. The work was designed without restraint, the pages are not numbered, and the geometrical figures are placed on foldouts. A very acidic gallic ink was used for the text. The presence of old stamps demonstrates its inscription in the public library register, written between 1836 and 1851.
During its restoration, the cut parts of forty-one leaves were lined with 9g. rag paper at the framing lines of the text. The highly acidic ink had oxidized the paper.