The Virgin with Child or Lady of the Vow
Experienced in the original speciality of the still-active secular craft of ivory sculpture, the Dieppe Castle Museum acquired, in Marseilles on December 10, an exceptional and monumental piece offering particular echos with the heritage of Haute-Normandie.
The Virgin with Child, signed by Louis Raymond Brunel (1818-1882) in 1857, is exceptional in its monumental size for a Dieppe ivory: at 34cm high (48cm including its black marble base), she is the tallest ivory statue in the collections after that of Saint Jacques by Georges Adolphe Souillard, carved 50 years later.
Brunel was born in Dieppe and was a pupil of Meugniot; he settled, in 1841, on the Quai Henri IV, and then at 4, Grande Rue. In 1868, he became the founder and President of the Society of Dieppe Ivory Carvers and he represented his colleagues in national and international exhibitions until his death in 1882.