The so-called "Rouen cross", the last of these Norman crosses, appeared at the end of the century after the upheaval of the Revolution, when gold and silversmiths’ production came under control again in 1797.
The "Rouen cross" continued to be called a "cross with stones" because of its paste decoration, even though it differed from the "crosses with stones" of the early 18th century.
It was made using a special piercing technique. A design was traced onto a leaf of precious metal, then highlighted by a decoration of holes pierced in the gold leaf. This process was to become the speciality of Rouen gold and silversmiths, who produced crosses and hearts which they liberally decorated with strass (imitation precious stones invented by Georges-Frédéric Strass in 1760).