In 1857, Jules-Paul Lœbnitz took over the earthenware factory which his grandfather Jean-Baptiste Pichenot had founded in 1833 on the Rue de la Pierre Levée in Paris. The Lœbnitz company, which mostly produced heating articles such as stoves and firebacks, earned recognition for its development (in 1840) of a manufacturing process for uncrackable earthenware which made it possible to produce large-sized earthenware tiles and plates.
From the 1860s onwards, Jules-Paul Lœbnitz decided to diversify production and steer the company in a new direction. He therefore launched Della Robbia style architectural ceramics. Before long he collaborated with the greatest architects of his time on prestigious construction projects such as Blois, where he worked with architect Félix Duban, and Eu, where he produced (from drawings by Viollet le Duc) tiles for the château’s floors, fireplaces and bathrooms.