Listed in the Salon’s 1845 catalogue, this painting by Hippolyte Adrien Démétrius Provost-Dumarchais is a decorative work relating to the Entente Cordiale.
It is a composite ensemble of images and is perhaps an attempt by the painter to win a commission from the state.
Although it relates to an important historical event from the 19th century, this painting does not have a place in the pictorial genre of historical painting, which was at the top of the genre hierarchy until the end of the 18th century.
Purchased by the royal museums, it does, however, fit into the category of works used as instruments of propaganda by the state.
Like all monarchs, in keeping with the tradition of glorifying the royal person, Louis-Philippe took control of all the means of communication available at the time through the royal institutions, and set about building a positive image of himself and his politics.
Deposited in 1872 at the Musée du Châtillonnais in Châtillon-sur-Seine, this painting was transferred to the Musée Louis-Philippe in February 2008, with the consent of the Musée du Louvre.