Pons arrived in Saint-Nicolas in 1807 at the invitation of the Minister of the Interior, de Champagny, and on the advice of the Prefect of the department of Seine-Inférieure, Savoye-Rollin. He was charged with reviving the clock-making industry, which had suffered from the economic crisis after the French Revolution. He introduced mechanisation, and with Matthieu and then Augustin Croutte, organised the distribution of tasks between workers at home (often entire families) and workshops where men and women worked side-by-side for the first time. From 1825, production increased 24-fold, and between 5,000 and 6,000 Aliermont-made movements arrived on the market each year. Competition from the Franche-Comté region was severe, particularly from the Japy family. Pons’ movements are renowned for their flawlessness.