La flagellation du Christ à la colonne (1606-1607)
La flagellation du Christ à la colonne (1606-1607)

Statute

City museum


Collections

Art of XXth century

Religious art

Fine arts

Furniture


Curator/Manager

Laurent Salomé

Address

Esplanade Marcel-Duchamp
Entrée handicapés
26, rue Lecanuet
76000 Rouen

Telephone

02 35 71 28 40

Fax

02 35 15 43 23

logo musees de France Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rouen -- Rouen Museum of Fine Arts


The Museum of Fine Arts was instituted by the Chaptal Decree of September 1, 1801; the core of its collection was therefore the fruit of the French Revolution, coming notably from the many religious establishments that were subsequently closed in Rouen. The museum was initially installed on the first floor of the city hall, before being inaugurated in February 1880 in its current premises, a building designed by architect Louis Sauvageot.
The museum’s collection of paintings, sculptures, drawings and art objects - one of the finest in provincial France - covers all the schools from the 16th to the 20th century.
The 17th century is well represented with works by Caravaggio, Velàsquez and Poussin, and a significant number of religious paintings from the French school. The collection of French 19th-century paintings is particularly complete, with works by Géricault, Ingres and Delacroix, and the largest group of Impressionist paintings outside Paris (Monet, Renoir, Sisley...).

lien Ecouter
lien Print the whole of visitor's information