51, rue de Lecat
02 35 15 59 95
02 32 08 04 96
The museum was founded in 1901. Since 1947, its collections have been exhibited in the former surgeon’s house at the Hôtel-Dieu hospital, dating from the 18th century.
Ten rooms are open to visitors, including the room in which the writer was born, a curiosity cabinet, a hospital ward, an apothecary, and an area devoted to childbirth and early childhood.
The rich and varied collections (paintings, sculptures, hospital furniture, faience, medical and surgical instruments, an obstetrical mannequin and a collection of babies’ bottles) retrace the history of medicine from Antiquity to the early 20th century. A medicinal plant garden is also open to visitors to the musuem.
An antique book library can be consulted by appointment.